It’s almost time to start up the irrigation system again after its long winter nap. Whether you are a homeowner or a commercial property owner, the recent winter’s harsh cold temperatures can lead to some difficulties in starting up your irrigation systems, such as burst pipes and broken valves. Follow these tips for a smoother sprinkler system start-up come spring.
Tips to Maintain Your Irrigation System
Just like your vehicle, which requires regular maintenance, so does your sprinkler system. With luck, you may have properly winterized your system last fall by draining the sprinklers and pipes of water before freeze-up. If not, you may be facing more troubles – regardless, a lawn care & irrigation professional can help you inspect your sprinkler system to ensure a safe start-up:
- Be sure that soil isn’t frozen. Soil should be frost-free to a full 12” below the surface to avoid expensive freeze damage to your pipes by turning the water on too early.
- Check for normal wear and tear to valves, nozzles, and pipes. Be sure to have a collection of spare irrigation parts just in case, and replace broken or malfunctioning parts if necessary.
- Clean clogged nozzles and heads to prevent uneven water distribution.
- Check air pressure. One of the biggest problems during initial start-up is the surge of air pressure caused by water suddenly flowing into an empty pipe and air having nowhere to escape – often this can burst fittings and cause sprinklers to blow out of the ground.
- Check for leaks. Leaks and breaks in the system not only wastes water but cause a higher utility bill.
- Check sprinkler system settings. Check that your timer programs are still accurate based on neighborhood restrictions and local weather conditions.
- Test the system. Once you have filled the entire irrigation system, run each zone for a few minutes to flush out remaining air and ensure sprinkler heads are spraying properly.
Contact BUR-HAN Garden & Lawn Care to help ensure proper sprinkler system operation after the cold months of winter. We provide sprinkler system installation and maintenance to residential and commercial property owners throughout the Lower Mainland.
Vancouver Lawn Maintenance
Bur-Han Garden and Lawn Care
2110 Front St, North Vancouver, BC V7H 1A3